Wednesday 21 December 2011

Happy Christmas Ginny

Last month, I won a fabulous prize from the wonderful Ginny at  Polly's Paper Studio - thank you! I just love all the vintage colours in this set.

"Woopee :-)"

Today, I'd like to share a couple of cards I made with my prize. First up is a gatefold card.

"Gatefold card front"

300gsm black, textured card was used for the base, and covered in Crate Paper "Candy Cane" printed cardstock with the edges distressed in Barn Door. A couple of Crate Paper brads were added to the front and some baker's twine from the Crate coordinating holiday trim used to make a closure. I wanted to keep the front quite plain so that it is more of a surprise when the card is opened.

"Gatefold card inside"

I love the way you can use a gatefold card to make the walls of a room, so went for a fireside scene. The chipboard sticker edges were sanded to remove tags and distressed with ink to cover any card edges.

"Portrait and fireplace"

The inside of the fireplace chipboard was carefully removed with a craft knife and foam tape used to sit the fireplace surround on top, to provide dimension. I set fire to the logs in the grate by adding some red and gold glitter glue and added a little brown distress ink around the edges for soot :-). A length of tinsel decorates the mantelpiece. The portrait is cut from one of the Santa tickets, with some gold glitter glue added around the edge for a frame.

"Gatefold card inside"

Here, the card is flattened to show the edge panels. The tree has some gems added for baubles. You can also see the length of Christmas lights from the Crate holiday border set.

"Gatefold card back"

Of course, you need somewhere to write a greeting, so a couple of panels of Crate paper cardstock were diecut, the edges distressed and then layered onto the back of the card.

For the second card, a more typical 6" x 6" card blank was used.

"Snowglobe card"

As soon as I saw the snowglobe chipboard I wanted to turn it into a real one! A piece of acetate was diecut into a circle, and some of the Crate paper cardstock used to make a circular frame, then the two were adhered together and stuck to the snowglobe chipboard with foam tape, with tiny glass beads trapped in the gap so they would move around when the card is shaken. Some brown cardstock was cut to the shape of the snowglobe stand and decorated with Promarkers to resemble the original base, then adhered with foam tape, and a "Holiday" chipboard added.

"Snowglobe close-up"

The finished snowglobe was mounted onto shapes diecut from more Crate paper cardstock, and a strip of tickets. The tiny snowflake chipboard stickers were used to decorate the card, all the edges having first been sanded and distressed with matching colours.

Hope you like the cards and Ginny, if you email your address I'd be happy to send you whichever you'd like :-)

Entered for the following challenge:
Joanna Sheen - Christmas Wishes
Everybody Art Challenge - Anything Goes
Cutie Pie Challenge Blog - use a sentiment
Trult Madly Crafty - Christmas Images & Colours
Unstampabelles - Challenge 6 - Christmas

10 comments:

  1. Both fabulous creations and congratulations on your win, lots of lovely goodies. Thank you for joining us on the JS Challenge & good luck. Jane (DT) xx
    http://thecraftbucket.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow fab prizes and I love both of the cards you have made.
    Becky x

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!!! a great prize and I love the cards you have made with it. I have enjoyed looking through your other creations too - I love them all!!!! All the best Sue

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh both of these cards are so fantastic and I love the extra detail on both of them. Thanks so much for joining in at Unstampabelles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fabulous prize and your cards are fantastic! Love Jayne. x x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful card thanks for joining us at cutie pie, good luck cheers sue n x

    ReplyDelete
  7. both these cards are great! I just love the snow globe idea ;-)
    thanks for joining in UnstampaBelles Challenge this month.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on the win! I love the beads you used for your shaker card. I'd want to shake it everytime I saw it, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great work with your prize! :-) Elaine-xxx-

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are gorgeous my favourite is the snowglobe, well done on winning those fabulous prizes!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment, it's nice to know I'm not just talking to myself :)