Monday 12 December 2011

Christmas 2011 - Tag 12 - Tissue paper

Tired but happy, here I am with my last tag for the time being, based on Tim Holtz' 12th tag of Christmas published today. Of course, most of the ingredients are once again missing from my craft room, but not to worry, you can make your own! Now for the tissue, you want the type of tissue paper that you would use for candle decorating. Mine came wrapped around some Ikea bookshelves, but you can use other types as explained in Karen's blog "A Lil' Bit of Redrottiness" here (she has a great tutorial on decorating candles).

"Tag 12"

The tissue paper was taped to a piece of card with the dull surface uppermost (shiny surface facing the card), then used to print a Graphics Fairy music image. A script stamp was used to decorate a tag, then the tag was covered with a layer of PVA glue and the tissue paper added on top.

"Angel"

A skinny house shape was hand cut from empty cat food box, painted with acrylic (white mixed with a little blue), dried, sanded, stained and covered in glitter glue. Three copies of an angel from the Graphics Fairy were printed onto cream card, cut out and decoupaged on top of the skinny house shape, and a flower added to the angel's hand. Note: the angel's feet don't touch the ground :-)

"Tissue paper flower"

Some more tissue paper was stamped in archival ink with Tim Holtz' script  and Curiosity stamps, then turned into a paper flower following the instructions on Tim Holtz' blog (I just used a normal stapler, making sure the flower folds were wide enough).


"side view of tag showing dimension"

Silver mirror card was used instead of metal sheet on card. In place of the lace die, a piece of a swirly die-cut was cut to size to decorate the tag's edge. "HOPE" was die-cut from mirror card and black card and arranged using my usual shadowing effect for extra dimension (I was pleased to see Tim using the same technique today, guess I wasn't the only one who had this idea!).

I thought it would be fun to finish up with a list of a few things I have learnt from Tim Holtz whilst doing these tags:
1. All sorts of things can be dried with a heat tool, including acrylic paint.
2. Glitter glue spreads really nicely with your finger ( I no longer seem to mind getting my fingers dirty and frequently use them for painting now too :-)
3. Shrink-plastic can be shrunk in a melt pot full of molten embossing powder (wow, can't wait to try this!)
4. How to transfer images using sticky tape.
5. Shrink plastic & acetate can be decorated with alcohol inks.
6. How to make a paper flower from tissue paper (and it's real purdy too!).

Entered for the following challenge:
Dream Valley Challenge: Christmas

6 comments:

  1. Gorgeous end to the 12 tags Maddy. I love your flower and the lovely music background. The wee angel is beautiful. Lee xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Maddy, I have loved all the tags you have made but this has to be my favourite, it is beautiful! Love Jayne. x x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fab! Love the tissue flower and all the details. Thank you for joining in with us at Dream Valley challenges. Have a great Christmas. Hugs Eva x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your work (have since I started doing Brag Monday's at GF) and this tag is adorable!!!!

    Goodness all around your blog :D

    Happy Holidays from me and mine to you and yours!
    ~Suzanne in NW Illinois
    Visiting from Brag Monday, at GraphicsFairy
    See you "next year" when Brag Monday's begin again here at GF!

    ReplyDelete
  5. fabby tag :0)..thanks for sharing with us at Dream Valley..hugs Debs x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment, it's nice to know I'm not just talking to myself :)