Wednesday 7 December 2011

Christmas 2011 Tag 7 - Kraft Glassine, or not

Another day, another improvisation. OK, I admit it, I'm not rich. I don't have kraft glassine and racked my brains to come up with an alternative, and I think I have it. Maddy presents... stained greaseproof paper!!

"Tag 7"

I couldn't get Tim's video for tag 7 to load today (wonder if that was due to the number of viewers?), so not sure of the official colouring method, but the greaseproof paper was stained by dabbing with various colours of Adirondack inks & mixative diluted on the felt pad with a little blending solution. The paper was crumpled a few times into a ball, opened out and swiped with Walnut Stain distress ink. The holly leaves were then cut out.

"Holly ensemble"

My good friend Lee read about my predicament of not having any grungepaper and (thank you so much Lee) - sent me two sheets!!! Wow, I'd never even seen the stuff before. Now I don't know if it's just because I'm a veggie (did I mention that before? Well you know it now LOL!), but my finely tuned sense of smell definitely detects the scent of new leather in this stuff. Don't know whether it's cowhide or tanning chemicals...

 A branch was cut from Lee's grungepaper. There was no gold paint dabber available, but I did have some gold Adirondack mixative and dabbing on the grungepaper covered the branch beautifully. The branch edges were sanded and distressed with Walnut Stain, then decorated by rubbing with a little white acrylic paint from a tube and some holographic glitter glue. Small pearl beads were coloured with Cranberry Adirondack ink and threaded together with gold thread. A small length of gold tinsel and torn lace were also used.

"Merry Christmas"

In place of the Tim Holtz stamp (which is fabulous but not available to me unfortunately), a polkadoodle Merry Christmas was stamped onto Kraft cardstock in clear Versamark before heat embossing in black, cutting to size, distress staining and fixing to the tag.

You can also see the tag background quite well in this picture. The Indigo Blu crackle stamp from the Alice I set and a Tim Holtz script stamp were used on a background of Pumice Stone & Antique Linen-stained tag.

"Lace and pearls tag decoration"

Finally, a length of lace was coloured with Pine Needles distress stain and tied to the tag, and a couple of pearl beads attached with gold thread

P.S. Thanks also to Lee for the diecut tag & lace and to Linda for the tinsel.

Entered for the following challenge:
ABC Christmas Challenge - Yippee (anything goes)
Simon Says Stamp - Christmas Photomontage Inspiration
Creative Card Crew - 'Tis the Season
Create Me Pink - Christmas Colours
Papertake Weekly - Anything Goes

12 comments:

  1. oh wow your tag is fab, I love the Tim Holtz'y style, you have done a great job.
    Becky x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a stunning tag thanks so much for entering at CCC and PTW hugs Rebekah xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your tag is just gorgeous.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. This tag is fantastic Maddy. The greaseproof paper worked perfectly well on your tag. What did you think of the grunge paper? Did you like working with it?(other than its smell....it really does small like leather, I completely agree.) I love the colour you did on the lace too. Your tag looks fantastic. Lee x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful tag! I like the Tim Holtz feel of it! Thanks for playing along at CCC and good luck!
    Hugs, Ani

    ReplyDelete
  6. thats genius! great tag Debi x

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow fab tag, now who wouldn't want to have this on their pressie!!

    Thanks for joining us this week at Papertake Weekly.

    Fi GDT
    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous tag...love the crackle stamp you've used...it looks great!

    Thanks for joining us in our Christmas Colors Challenege!

    http://www.createmepink.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fab creation!
    Thanks for joining us at SimonSaysStamp this week.

    Domi

    ReplyDelete
  10. ooooo, thanks for the tip on the greaseproof paper as glassine! Thanks for playing along with the ABC Christmas Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE your tag and your not so Glassine paper! great tip! Thanks for joining in with us at ABC Christmas Challenge this time, Come play again soon, hugs Samantha :0)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is lovely...way to improvise...that's what stamping's all about! Thank you for playing along with us at Creative Card Crew!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment, it's nice to know I'm not just talking to myself :)