Sunday 11 December 2011

Christmas 2011 - Tag 11 - Shrink plastic, embossing and alcohol inks

I'm a big fan of shrink plastic. Watching that plastic curl up and shrink as you heat it never fails to fill me with wonder, it's just like being a kid again! So you can imagine my delight at seeing tag 11 from Tim Holtz. Here's my version using similar techniques.

"Tag 11"

The background tag is made from glossy cardstock decorated with distress inks, water splatters, a little Perfect Pearls splatter and the odd stamp.

Hopefully, Father Christmas is bringing me a melt pot this year (yippee!), but in the meantime, the shrink plastic was shrunk with a heat-tool, then embossed multiple times with clear embossing powder on one side, and decorated by dabbing with Adirondack alcohol inks on the other. A bit more time-consuming than Tim Holtz' method, but just as effective.

"Shrink plastic baubles"

So there I was, inking my embossed baubles, and it reminded me of inking facets and acetate, and I started to wonder whether the archival ink resist technique would work... I stamped a star on the back of a bauble with archival ink, then blotted it with kitchen roll and sure enough, the alcohol ink came off. What a fab effect!

The reindeer and "Merry Christmas" stamps were from old Papermania sets, stamped onto glossy cardstock with Archival ink and decorated with distress inks.

6 comments:

  1. Fabulous tag, love the shrink plastic baubles! Love Jayne. x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful tag, love the shrink baubles,
    Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your baubles Maddy, theyve turned out amazing. Your tag looks really awesome. Im dying to get a melt pot after seeing the video this morning. I love the new look of it too. Im sure you will have hours of fun with yours. Lee x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome job with your shrink plastic ornaments!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your shrink plastic ornaments look great. I like how you took it furthur with the resist technique. Clever!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment, it's nice to know I'm not just talking to myself :)