Sunday 4 August 2013

Stamping Sensations Challenge - Wings & Things & A Touch Vintage

This month the Stamping Sensations team are challenging you to make a project which features wings and things and a little bit vintage. Our fabulous sponsor is CraftyDevilsPapercraft and they are offering a magnificent prize to the winner of a £35 gift voucher, so we would love to see lots of entries!



My good friends Lee and Kathy have given me quite a bit of gorgeous lace, but I had it stored in a couple of boxes and could never find the bit I wanted. Then I spied a plain wooden kitchen roll holder in a charity shop and thought it would make the ideal lace storage, once it was altered of course!


"Bespoke Lace Storage"

Here's what it looked like after I cleaned it, but before I started decorating...

"Charity Shop Bargain"
First of all, the knobs were all removed and the edges painted with black acrylic, then patterned papers were used to cover the wooden faces...

"Knobs removed and edges painted"

Some splodges of paint were added from distress stain bottles, along with some butterflies. The butterflies are stamped onto watercolour paper with coffee archival ink, then coloured in with distress markers and a detail water brush before cutting out, shaping and adhering with Pinflair.

"Box Mark 1"

Now, it should have been nearly finished at this point, but I decided I didn't like it! I removed the butterflies and repainted the whole thing using acrylic paints and my fingers (it was hot and I took the project outside and just got down right and dirty with the paints :-). Then I overstamped with coffee archival ink and added lots more butterflies. After it had dried, I wrapped all the longest lengths of lace around the spindle, securing each with a pin and filled the drawer with all the rest of the lace on wooden dolly pegs.


"Box Mark II"

Much better! Mixing distress paints with your fingers allows you to blend the colours and is lovely for giving soft backgrounds. I love the clouds. I also used some distress reinker to colour white paint because I only have a few distress paints and wanted more colours.

"Lots more butterflies and a diamond knob "

That gorgeous knob was another pressie from my bessie mate Lee aka craftyloops - thanks Lee!

Ingredients:
Crate Paper Maggie Holmes 12" x 12" paper pad
adhesives: PVA, glossy accents, pinflair
distress paints: Salty Ocean, Tattered Rose, Picket Fence
Bundled Sage reinker (used to colour the white acrylic paint)
Dayler Rowney Simply Acrylics: white, medium green, black
Cosmic Shimmer glue: teal (for the dots)
butterfly stamps from 7Gypsies, Graphic45 and Artemio
archival ink: Coffee
distress markers: worn lipstick, barn door, tea dye, tumbled glass, broken china, faded jeans, milled lavender, dusty concord, chipped sapphire, mustard seed, spiced marmalade, scattered straw, walnut stain
wooden kitchen roll holder from charity shop
diamond knob

18 comments:

  1. Wow, Maddy, this is simply stunning! What a fantastic makeover! I LOVE it! The Mk 2 version is definitely the best! You've created a gorgeous way to store all those beautiful laces.

    Lynne x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maddy stunning project so pretty. Love Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great find and clever idea! You have turned this into not only very useful but also absolutely beautiful storage.
    Heike xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. stunning work maddy,love the butterflies.
    sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent, great upcycling, so useful too

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow this is gorgeous, great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful project. It looks fantastic and makes me want to browse the charity shops for my own storage items.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Again you have done a fantastic job.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Maddy
    Wow gorgeous design piece, and super idea,such a wonderful inspirational piece. I love everything about it!
    Happy crafting
    Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely stunning project-great result looks fantastix-just hopping
    carol x

    ReplyDelete
  11. what a fab useful project - love all the butterflies - looks great
    Linda x

    ReplyDelete
  12. So cool, that's a gorgeous idea. Great storing place.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Super fun idea you did a gorgeous job on refinishing it.

    Regards diane

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow.....what a transformation! And a gorgeous way to display your laces....someone has fabulous taste in lace, lol. And at least this way you can see what laces you have. I would be totally scundered if I showed you how mine are stored! This is stunning Maddy. So pretty and the paper is beautiful. I've never even heard of it! No surprise there given my track record with papers, lol. Lee x

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've never seen one with a drawer before.. what a great find for your purpose. Beautiful makeover. Alas my laces etc are all in boxes..so there's always a search.

    ReplyDelete
  16. what a fun project...I love re-arranging things as much as stamping...happy crafting
    bibiana

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my... Maddy, your project is stunning. Love it so much! The butterflies are so sweet. You made a fantastic home for laces.
    Hugs
    Eret

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a stunning project, Maddy! I LOVE it! you have created something so beautiful from your charity shop bargain. I liked Mark one, but mark two is better still. Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment, it's nice to know I'm not just talking to myself :)