Saturday 6 April 2013

Oriental Double Inside Aperture Card Tutorial

I finally found it! What? You know, the card that I made for my husband's birthday that I hid so well I lost it...

"Oriental Double Inside Aperture Card"

My husband loves birds, no not those, the feathered variety :-) I knew he'd love these panels from Graphic45's Birdsong collection and thought a double aperture card was the perfect way to showcase them.

"Fixing the patterned paper panels"

Starting off with two A4 pieces of thick card, score a double line down the centre of one of the panels (dividing it into 2 x A5 sides with a thin gutter between them). Crease both the lines to make a thin book cover, then fix the patterned paper in place with PVA and surround with double sided foam tape.

"Cutting the apertures"

If, like me, you only have one of the smaller diecutting machines, you may need to score and fold the other piece of card in half and cut both the apertures at the same time. If so, you will probably need to use a steel rule die to get a good cut (I use the Sizzix Bigz dies for this). After cutting, the card is decorated by stamping and heat-embossing in gold, then both pieces of card are lined up and joined together with the foam tape. The thin gutter helps the card to close properly, which would otherwise prove difficult because of the thickness of the foam tape.

"Adding diecut decoration"

Some flourishes are cut from antiqued gold card and fixed in place by gluing the tails beneath the aperture.

"Adding sentiment panels"

 These sentiment panels from Papermania's Oriental collection are just perfect.

"Front cover"

Another panel of the Graphic45 papers is added to the front cover, along with some Chinese characters stamped and heat-embossed in gold to wish my husband wealth, harmony, love and happiness.

Ingredients:
Graphic45 Birdsong 8" x 8" paper pad
Papermania Oriental Treasure stamp sets & sentiments
Artemio stamp set - Chinese Vases
Versamark ink pad
Stampendous embossing powder, Pirate Gold
Spellbinders Die D-Lites, Fantastic Flourish One
Sizzix Bigz M&S Vintage Cabinet die
Aquamarker, gold (for edging)
Cardstock: black 300gsm
Adhesives: PVA, Pinflair, Foam Tape


Entered for the following challenge:
Simon Says Stamp and Show...April 1...A Very Strict Challenge


24 comments:

  1. Maddy...this card is gorgeous! I love the Asian theme and how you've used the black cardstock to create the frames. That gold embellishing really does lend itself to an oriental look and feel. That gold embossing is so effective! LOVE IT! Thanks for sharing your art with us at Simon Says Stamp and Show. <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so pleased that you found your husband's card, it's stunning.
    The double aperture design is wonderful, I love the images and the gold embossing looks so gorgeous on the black.
    I hope you are well
    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning card, love that gold on black, very oriental. The birdsong images are gorgeous too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW its absolutely stunning love everything about it very classy and very professional looking totally suits the Graphic 45 papers
    carol x

    ReplyDelete
  5. super chinesey card izzwizz and I am sure you hubby loved it too ... bet you were having a panic when you couldn't find it lol that is the sort of thing I do ... just blog hopping about ... have a great weekend ... happy crafting and love sandy xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow,this is stunning and thanks for the explanation on how you did it x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow...What a stunning card....love the design....Julieannex

    ReplyDelete
  8. You always make such wonderfull Things. I have said it before - I am sorry you live so far away. I would like to have you closer, so that I could learn from you. I wish you a fine Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. stunning card great design x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, this is super! Enjoy your blog-hop in memory of Dec o Cards. S x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stunning card, love the design....Blog hopping from docrafts.
    Wendy xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous card, so glad you managed to find it! Just hopping by, have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stunning card, like the different fold too

    ReplyDelete
  14. Really lovely just hopping by from DC x

    ReplyDelete
  15. lovely card with a really lovely selection of papers x

    ReplyDelete
  16. A great tutorial and such a beautiful and effective project.
    Heike xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fabulous card, love the colours and layout

    Lorna xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. BEAUTIFUL WORK! Thanks so much for linking up with us over at Simon Says Stamp and Show this week! - Ashli :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is just beautiful!!! Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hopping by in honour of Dec O Cards. Wow, this is amazing, Such a lot of work gone into it, I bet your husband was thrilled with it. Love the gold touches and the detailed images you used.

    ReplyDelete
  21. wowee! definatey fabulous! one to be proud of! ;) x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gorgeous! Its an honour to remember a member of our docrafts family. Elaine-xxx-

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is my favorite paper and I LOVE what you did with it! I am beyond words...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment, it's nice to know I'm not just talking to myself :)