1. Cut 3 straps and one keyhole each from recycled card packaging and good quality black card.
2. Glue the black card pieces to the patterned side of the recycled packaging pieces using a good layer of PVA and leave to dry.
3. Pass all the pieces through an embossing folder the wrong (brown) side up.
4. Flip all the pieces over and dry emboss them again. This will help to break up some of the paper fibres and make the straps more flexible so they will bend without tearing or cracking.
5. Go over all the edges with the chisel end of a black promarker.
6. Bring out details of the embossed design by rubbing with gilding wax.
7. Use a thick pen to roll the straps around, giving them plenty of flexibility before fixing to the covers.
8. Cut two pieces of thick recycled card packaging 5" x 7"
8. Prepare two 5" x 7"covers using the gilding an embossed image technique and glue to the card pieces using a good layer of PVA. Leave to dry.
9. Layout the straps and keyhole on the covers and punch small holes in the covers to match the holes in the diecuts (I use an 1/8" eyelet punch), then attach the straps using brads.
10. Open out the brads on the wrong side to hold everything in place.
11. Cover the insides with patterned papers (hiding the brads) and add some gold thread to hold the contents in place.
12. I filled this one with a selection of A6 handmade cards and envelopes. Once they are used, the recipient can still use the cover for notes.
So there you have it, a Christmas present for an 18 year old boy!
14. And a matching one for his girlfriend (my niece) :-)
Tim Holtz Sizzix Bigz Hardware Findings, Tag and Bookplates
Spellbinders Die D-Lites: Floral Border, Bluebells and Lily of the Valley
M-Bossabilities Large Folder: Venetian, Tweet and Twigs
Tim Holtz Sizzix Embossing Folder:
Cuttlebug Embossing Folder: Mesh
Papermania Oriental Treasures A4 paper pad
recycled card packaging
cardstock: black 220gsm,
Creative Expressions gilding waxes: enchanted gold, patina
selection of handmade C6 cards and envelopes
adhesives: PVA, Glossy Accents