Sunday 2 February 2014

Wings, Fantasy and Fiction

"Wings, Fantasy and Fiction" is the title of this month's challenge at Stamping Sensations, and as usual we have a terrific prize on offer. thios month, the prize is from Crafty Devils Papercraft who stock a huge range of dies, stamps and papers, etc. I wanted lots of dimension for this fantasy project so I made a book card.

 
"Sleeping Beauty"

The arched window is a Memory Box die and the leaves are from Spellbinders. Two windows and a variety of leaves are diecut from thick, brown card and the book cover is made from the same card, then all the pieces are decorated with Gold Pinflair Buff-it.

 

To make the arched window, a piece of acetate is cut to fit the window and glued onto an arched aperture in the front of the card before adding the diecuts front and back, making sure they line up perfectly. This gives an illusion of depth to the window frame.

 
"Inside or Outside"

The brickwork is made using an inking and embossing folder technique. I resisted adding too much decoration to the inside since I didn't want to detract from the castle, but there's plenty of room for a sentiment.

"Make a Wish"

We had a lovely, Sunny day when I took this photo', so I took the camera outside to show you some shadows. The book card construction is great as a faux shadow box. In this one, I added a front with an arch-shaped aperture (cut using the same arched window die), embossed and gilded. This covers the book "pages" so the inside looks even more like a box even though the outside of the card is book-shaped.

 


The castle and fairy are stamped in black archival ink and decorated using Derwent inktense pencils. The fairy's wings and wand have sparkle from a "Wink of Stella" clear pen; the castle is decoupaged. The background is hand-painted with acrylic paints.


Ingredients:
Papermania Midnight Fairytale stamps
Memory Box Arched Window die
Sizzix Bigz On the Edge Iron Gate
Spellbinders Leaves
Embossing Folders: Sizzix bricks, M-Bossabilities asian
cardstock: brown 300gsm, white 160gsm
Ranger Archival Ink, Jet Black
Distress Inks
Derwent Inktense Pencils
Acrylic Paints
Gilding Waxes (I used Pinflair Buff-its in Gold, Red & Blue)
adhesives

Entered for the following challenge:

27 comments:

  1. This is truly magical Maddy, it makes me think we are being treated to a peek into a secret fantasy grotto.

    Hope you have a good Sunday.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow Maddy this is truly amazing!! Love all the layers and love how it is like a book. Hugs from Pinky

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Maddy! This is stunningly beautiful! Your window is wonderful and the scene you created inside makes me want to step into it! A truly Gorgeous creation xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what an amazing creation! The scene is simply magical, and all the details are fantastic! The embossed and gilded interior is very impressive. Love it!

    Lynne x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would like to find a new Word instead of amazing, fantastic, marveless but I cannot find it. You make so many fantastic things and I always look forward to see what you are going to show us. I wish you a fine scrapping week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a wonderful project, great details.

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is fantastic, lots of work and all so well done
    congrats
    bibiana

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful magical creation, fabulous image and perfect details.
    Happy crafting
    Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohhhhhhh I LOVE this card Maddy. Its gorgeous. I love the brick work inside and as always, your blending is amazing.

    Maddy sorry I've been a bit MIA. My room looks like a bomb has hit it! We are packing it up to redecorate but its incredible how much stuff I've managed to collect. Me thinks I need to purge a little. It wouldn't be too bad if I was just swapping around furniture but we want to put wooden floors down too so EVERYTHING has to go out. I saw lovely white washed flooring in Ikea so hopefully it'll look lovely and fresh and make the room look fresh. Ughhhhh its such a bloody mess, lol. Its taking too long. I want is finished! Moany moan moans! Lol. Talk to you soon.

    Lee xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Maddy this is so gorgeous, so much detail and I love your blending.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow..Mandy...What beautiful work...love all the details...Joolsx

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh my goodness what a super book card ... just amazing ... well done ... just hopping around ... hope you have a great weekend ... happy crafting and love sandy xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is lovely, what a lot of work has gone into this.
    On the hop from DC x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Goodness what a lovely work of art hopping by from DC xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOW Maddy that is wonderful and must of taken you a while as there is so much attention to details. The hard work paid off though because it is delightful. Just popped over from DC blog hop. Sharon x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Absolutely stunning, just hopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Goodness, Maddy, such detailed work, this must have taken ages, it is absolutely gorgeous. Hope your eye is continuing to heal, best wishes, Dips xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is such a fab book card. You must have worked on this piece of art for absolutely ages.
    Heike xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. hi maddy ... have already commented on your lovely book card ... but just wanted to say thank you for popping by my blog ... have a great week ... happy crafting and love sandy xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. wow looks fantastic really looks like a bound leather book love all the embossing and details
    carol x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow Maddy what a fabulous piece of art - love everything about it
    Linda x

    ReplyDelete
  22. wow, this is stunning. I thought the front of it looked amazing and then the next photo showing the brick work just blew me away. This is definitely a keepsake card x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ooh this is lovely :-) I wouldnt want to give it away! Happy leapblogging, have a good week! Elaine-xxx-

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think this is amazing, I'm so sorry I'm late with hopping, I might have missed this. I would be so proud if I had made something like this, it's absolutely wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Maddy, this is magnificent. Truly amazing project inside and out. Love everything about it. All it's details are perfect!
    Eret x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Maddy, this is a fabulous box card full of so many details. I love the fantasy theme and the gorgeous brickwork texture to give it the feel of a window in a castle. Thanks for taking the time to look at my Blogworthy post, I do appreciate your visit and lovely comment. Enjoy the rest of the day and have a lovely weekend.
    hugs Brenda xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. it is again me , just came by to say
    Happy Valentine's Day!
    Warmly,
    Bibiana

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment, it's nice to know I'm not just talking to myself :)