Tuesday 26 February 2013

His 'n' Hers

In the space of a few short weeks here in Northern Ireland, almost everyone I know has a birthday! My husband, his sister, her husband, my best friend and most of her family... the list is endless. I said to hubby that there must be something in the air in May and he said it was the only time of year that it's warm enough to take off your clothes lol! Anyway, since his sister and her husband's birthdays are only a couple of days apart, I thought it would be fun to make "his 'n' hers" cards for them...

"His 'n' Hers"

I guess you could use a similar idea if you had to make cards for twins.
NB click on the pictures to enlarge them if you want to see more detail

"His"

The cards are similar in style, but for the man's card I've used a much more masculine colour scheme of black and gold.

"Meadow"

I still wanted it bright though, so I cut the diecuts from holographic card to reflect the light well. It doesn't matter what the pattern is on the holographic card when you are using it like this, any sort of pattern will pick up the light and reflect it in different directions to achieve the effect. It's supposed to look completely random like a real late Summer meadow, with everything in full bloom.

"Daisy Chains"

You might recognise the sentiment from the "Daisy Chain" card I shared a couple of weeks ago. It's heat-embossed in gold onto black cardstock, diecut and matted and layered onto alternating black and gold diecuts, with some gold diecut flourishes for extra embellishments.

"Hers"

The woman's card has a much more subtle colour scheme, but I kept the bright gold diecuts to match the two cards and because I like the brightness in these dark, Winter days.

"Meadow"

The background is sponged & stamped with distress inks, and I've used lace for a more feminine border in place of the diecut in the man's card.

"Sentiment"

The sentiment is stamped and heat-embossed in gold onto white card, diecut and sponged with matching distress inks, then mounted with foam tape onto another inked and stamped background. More lace is added to trim, along with a few daisies peeking out from behind the sentiment panel.

"Covers"

Here they are closed and tied, ready to hand over. If you fancy having a go at a book card, I have a tutorial here. It's easier than you think :-)

Ingredients:
IndigoBlu stamp set: Enjoy Life
Spellbinders dies: Labels 20, Resplendent rectangles
Spellbinders die d-lites: Poppy Patch, Cattails, Flower Burst, Fantastic Flourish One
Distress Inks: Tumbled Glass, Bundled Sage, Antique Linen, Tattered Rose
Versamark ink pad
Stampendous embossing powder, pirate gold
cardstock: brown 300gsm, black 300gsm, white 160gsm, black 160gsm, gold holographic
ribbon, gold (for ties)
lace
Daisies
adhesives: PVA, Pinflair, foam tape

Entered for the following challenge:
Simon Says Stamp and Show - The Stamp You Love (but don't use). I just love that IndigoBlu "daisy chain" stamp from the "Enjoy Life" set and thought I'd have a go at using it on a birthday card. It reads "Take the time to walk barefoot in the grass making daisy chains & believe in the beauty of your dreams".
Timeless Tuesday - All That Glitters
 
 

27 comments:

  1. Two stunning pieces Maddy, lots of work gone into these and l am sure they will be treasured for many years. x Susan x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading your post Maddy it was going through my mind what it was about May, then I saw your husband answered it perfectly.

    These are awesome pieces of work, but the 'hers' one really is out of this world.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can only say, that I am really sorry that I am not the sister of your husband. What a card/present to get for the birthday. Super fantastic. It must really have taken many many hours to make this masterpiece.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, Maddy! These are just stunning! I love them both!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Meant to say, I had a class once where all their birthdays apart from 6 fell in a fortnight in June. We tracked it back five years and nine months. There were power cuts!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW!!! Totally stunning Maddy. Such a great idea to make the His and Hers cards.
    Gorgeous designs and wonderful detailing. These are sure to be treasured.

    I know what you mean about there being lots of birthdays this month. May is a very busy card making month for me also.

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well these are stunning,now effective,they will love them and thanks for the link x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Аааааа...I admire your work! I can't find words... it is fantastic!!!
    P.S. good joke about May :)
    Natalia

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG that is simply gorgeous you are such a clever lady. Your joke about May made me smile too. Love Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG, OMG, OMG.....THESE DESERVE AN AWARD!! Maddy these are simply stunning. Oh and speaking of awards, all that goldness is perfect for the Oscar weekend we just had. Wow Maddy, these are sensational! And yes, I completely agree, May was definitely a busy time of year judging on all the birthdays. Its not just our 4 legged friends that get frisky in the Spring you know....heehee. Lee x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely stunning. Love how you ave made his and hers cards. The meadow is superb and I love the soft background on hers and all the gold touches. Gorgeous and I am sure they will be treasured. Thanks so much for joining in the Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Maddy, Maddy, Maddy...you go girl! I totally love this style of card. I've seen it on your blog before and it just fascinates me! I've printed out your instructions and come hell or high water, I'm going to make one! haha You ROCK these cards! I love these two that you have made. The masculine one is so perfectly done ... using flowers on a guy's card no less! It is fantastic! The feminine card is so sweet. I love the colors you've used and the touches of lace. These are just exquisite and I agree with CraftyLoops...these definitely deserve and award! Thank you for sharing them with us at Simon Says Stamp and Show. <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is stunning love all the elements. Thank you for joining us at Here Comes the Boys challenge good luck
    Ginny ♥

    ReplyDelete
  14. Brilliant male card, love all the layers, thank you for joining us in our challenge at Here come the boys this week.
    Teresa xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOW.. that's the first thing that came to my mind. These are just amazing. WOW again.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for sharing your lovely work with us at Here Come The Boys, Good Luck with the Challenge Woo xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh WOW these are amazing!! Thank you for joining us this fortnight at craft-room challenge and good luck hugs

    NIKKI DT

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are wonderful creations, just perfect for our male theme this fortnight. Thanks for joining us at Craft Room Challenge and good luck with the draw. Julia xxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a fabulous set of sparkly birthday cards! Beautiful! Funny husband!!! Thanks so much for joining us in the Timeless Tuesday challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh wow, these are so clever and so beautiful! I love the idea of his n hers cards! Thanks for joining in with our "For A Man" theme over at the Craft-Room Challenge.

    Maria x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my word, oh my word, oh my creative word! I can't think of any words good enough! You are a paper Artist! The scene is gorgeous! These aren't cards, their shadow boxes! Filled with beautiful sculpture! WOW! A keepsake to say the least! I love the sentiment as well and the gold makes me channel my inner Midas! WOW AGAIN! Thanks for stamping with us this week at Simon Says Stamp & Show!

    ReplyDelete
  22. WOW! Such detail! Wonderful job in creating a his/hers set of birthday cards. Thank you for playing in the Timeless Tuesday Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  23. these are amazing!!!!!!!!! thanks for sharing with us at Craft Room Challenge, Debi x

    ReplyDelete
  24. So detailed and beautiful, stunning xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. Maddy...CONGRATS on being selected as one of the TOP THREE at Simon Says Stamp and Show for your stunning box cards! As we have been emailing back and forth...you KNOW how much I love these! They are totally awesome and you really make such gorgeous box cards! I've not had the time to sit and make one yet...but I will!!! You are so inspiring and looking at these makes me want to give it a try!!! CONGRATS...you are so deserving of this! <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
  26. These are gorgeous little gems to treasure! Congrats on the top 3!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment, it's nice to know I'm not just talking to myself :)